Legal Counsel II Opportunities
Corporate Finance Branch
Permanent, Full-time & Contract Available
Who We Are
The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC) is the statutory body responsible for regulating Ontario’s capital markets in accordance with the mandate established in the provincial Securities Act and the Commodity Futures Act. To read more about who we are and our mandate, visit our About Us < https://www.osc.ca/en/about-us > page.
What We Offer
- A diverse, fair and flexible hybrid work environment
- Challenging and rewarding work
- A highly attractive and competitive salary and performance bonus program for permanent employees
- A defined benefit pension plan with employer-matched contributions, and a comprehensive group benefits plan
- The opportunity to provide input and collaboratively take action on our exciting ongoing and upcoming projects
The Corporate Finance Branch is a regulatory branch responsible for regulating issuers (other than investment funds) in the public and exempt markets. The branch reviews public distributions of securities, exempt market activities and continuous disclosure of reporting issuers, and leads issuer-related policy initiatives. In addition, this branch plays an active role in policy development within the OSC and the Canadian Securities Administrators.
As a Legal Counsel II, you will report to a Manager in the Corporate Finance Branch, and you will:
- Review prospectuses, applications for discretionary relief from securities legislation, exempt market activities and continuous disclosure filings.
- Conduct research on complex issues and contribute to the development of policy initiatives.
- Interact with market participants and others engaged with the capital markets.
As the ideal candidate, you are:
- a member of the Law Society of Ontario in good standing and have a minimum of 5 years’ experience practising securities law.
- experienced working with the securities regulatory regime as it applies to public companies and companies raising capital in the exempt market, ideally gained at a law firm or a company/corporation.
- experienced with legal knowledge of capital markets and the ability to exercise good judgement.
- experienced in policy development and regulation.
- able to work on a team, be analytical and balance regulatory objectives with practical business considerations.
This is an opportunity to influence the further development of securities laws and regulations. The work associated with this role is top quality and complex, allowing you to experience continuous personal and professional growth. This is also an opportunity to join a very collegial and collaborative group. It offers a diverse, fair and flexible work environment and takes pride in its challenging and rewarding work. If you like to problem-solve and have a genuine interest in protecting the integrity of the ever-changing capital markets, this may be the perfect position for you!
Grow your career and make a difference working at the OSC!
Interested candidates must complete an online application by Friday, December 9th, 2022 at 11:59 pm.
We thank all applicants for their interest in the Ontario Securities Commission. We will contact those selected for an interview.
Inclusion and Diversity at the OSC
The OSC is committed to diversity and providing an inclusive workplace. It is our priority to ensure employment opportunities are visible and barrier-free to all under-represented groups, including, but not limited to, Indigenous, Black and racialized groups, people with disabilities, women and people from the LGBTQ2S community, to achieve an employee demographic profile reflective of the demographic profile of Ontarians.
The OSC is a proud partner with the following organizations: BlackNorth Initiative < https://blacknorth.ca/ > , Canadian Centre for Diversity and Inclusion < https://ccdi.ca/ > , and Pride at Work Canada < https://prideatwork.ca/ > .
If you require an accommodation during the recruitment process, please let us know by contacting our confidential inbox HRRecruitment@osc.gov.on.ca .
Visit Accessibility at the OSC < https://www.osc.ca/en/accessibility-osc >to review the OSC’s policies on accessibility and accommodation in the workplace.
Apply online here
Apply online here