Kijiji is the #1 online classifieds site in Canada and one of Canada’s top 10 most-visited digital sites. We reach nearly half of Canadian internet users monthly. We’re a leader in helping users find and trade goods and services in their communities, including Autos, Real Estate and Jobs. We’re proud of our engaged, results-oriented and collaborative team and were recently named one of the top Toronto Tech Employer Brands.
Kijiji is part of Adevinta: a global online classifieds specialist and sustainability leader with 40+ products in 15 countries.
We are looking for a modern, effective in-house lawyer to join the Kijiji Legal Team based in Toronto, to help support Kijiji.ca and kijijiautos.ca. This position will report to the Director, Head of Legal, Canada/Australia.
* Working directly with the fast-paced Kijiji business teams and acting as their real-time legal advisor - while also doing their operational legal work (contracts, product counselling, marketing reviews, customer policies, handling disputes, etc.);
* Working with business stakeholders to understand, structure, negotiate and close commercial agreements;
* Carrying out product reviews on the business’ web and mobile sites/apps;
* Drafting and negotiating commercial contracts for advertising, marketing, PR, technology and other services;
* Working closely with HR on people-related matters;
* Providing legal support (including with external counsel, as necessary) to the business on privacy-related and employment-related legal issues;
* Independently coordinating with functional stakeholders, including Tax, InfoSec, Finance, etc.;
* Possible M&A and integration support;
* Liaising with the Adevinta Legal team globally.
What we are looking for:
* Be qualified to practice law in Ontario (other Canadian jurisdictions would be highly beneficial);
* Have at least 5 years of experience in e-commerce law and in negotiating commercial contracts;
* Have strong product review skills - ability to project manage the legal review and the regular rollout of new products/functionality - working in cooperation with multiple stakeholders;
* Be familiar with Canadian privacy laws;
* Have great business rapport building skills and strong business acumen - this is a high growth entrepreneurial business and we need a lawyer who can build strong relationships quickly and has the confidence to advise in real time (including remotely, as applicable);
* Be resilient in the face of change. This is a fast-paced business undergoing an integration with a new international owner.
Ideal candidates will:
* Have in-house legal experience or relevant experience from a law firm;
* Have an understanding of ad tech, and experience with agreements with advertisers, ad servers and data management companies;
* Have e-commerce business experience;
* Be flexible with the scope and variety of projects to be undertaken;
* Be comfortable with ambiguity, and have a practical, solutions-oriented focus;
* Is passionate about working with a fast-paced business, acting as a true business partner and advising on cutting-edge legal issues;
* Have significant experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and advising on products/legal issues for an e-commerce/technology company;
* Experience with privacy and/or employment law is an asset.
What you'll get from us:
- Opportunity to shape the way we work. Your feedback and opinions are valued at all levels of the organisation
- Benefits including stock purchase plan and annual bonus plans
- Flexibility to work when and how you want - flexible hours, autonomy to set your own agenda, choice of phone and computer
- Smart Working Policy - work remotely some of the time, balanced with time in the office together with your team - between 5 and 45 days per quarter in the office depending on each team. (Please clarify this for your team during your first interviews!).
- Work from anywhere’ weeks - up to four weeks working from anywhere, including from another country, as long as you have an internet connection!
- Career development, including individual training budget and language classes
Adevinta is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status or disability status.
Covid-19: We’re reviewing the situation on a regular basis to ensure that we follow all local government guidelines and put the health of our people first. All interviews are currently taking place virtually.
Apply on LinkedIn here
Apply on LinkedIn here